Animating a tree with expressions and no experience at all

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

Voland

Hi charming people. First i want to explaing that i have no scripting knowledge whatsoever, i mean not a clue, i just discovered this amazing option. So it will help a little bit of pitty and a lot of help. I am trying to animate a tree with many branches and i want them to move like if the wind was blowing. Each branch is a diferent layer and they are correctly parent and anchor pointed so they move with the hierarchy being the stem the most rigid element on the comp .To achive that i create a null object and using the motion sketch and move it horizontaly simulating a wind dinamic on the x axis. Then i went on the stem rotation and activated the script function and with the pickwhip and lincÇked to the x position on the null object. Later i repositioned the null object so the movement of the tree rotate in the right position and added a / function at the end so it could simulate a more rigid element, and variying through the branches it create diferent levels of inflexibility on some branches. Resulting in this very elemental stuff:

thisComp.layer("Null 3").transform.position[0]/50

So far so good, but it looks to mechanic and i wanted to added a litle delay on the branches so each one respond to the wind in a diferent way. I already did it converting the expression to keyframes and move it in time and looked good. I have try a lot of things but i am really lost on this. I will learn the sacred magic of cripting and devote my live in to this. But right now i am totaly blank. Thanks.
Ko

any progress with your script?
--------
Ko