A new way to simulate "real 3D" in AE

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

Erland Kjensli

Atomic

This technique does not handle shadowing, or raytracing reflections not to mention objects reflected inside objects. It will always have that "video games" look.

IMHO you would be better off simply generating your camera moves in your 3D app then transfer your camera data to after effects.

To get "real 3D" just use a 3D app.
Erland Kjensli

I know it won't be real 3D. :-) Still I think it can have its uses for some people.

Let's say you render out a scene from your 3D app and import camera moves into AE together with the rendered scene. Then you decide to change the camera movements... Back to the previous app, change stuff, render out both the scene and the camera movements... The point here is to create something that let's AE users stay in AE after the first preparation.

Besides, isn't AE's non-extrusion or lack of real depth in 3D objects less than "video game look"? :-)

Erland.
Erland Kjensli

After my new discovery of QTVR .mov-files this technique will be a breeze...
)orgen

I must agree with atomic that one would be better of using a real 3d workflow, as this "technique" has severe limitations...using either max or c4d you can have great intergration with after effects that is faster and more flexible that this...good try though ;)
Atomic

AE already has extruded 3D.

Just use a shatter effect and don't shatter it. It is true that you do not get bevel and texturing is limited, but you can get a "true" 3d extrusion out of AE.

Yes, it is a better workflow to remain inside a single app.

I guess, having worked in 3D and 2D I see the setup and maintenance of this footage techniquie to be quite a burden. If a texture change is requested, instead of a camera change you are still in the same boat of having to go back to the 3D app and re-render your footage.
Erland Kjensli

Atomic wrote:AE already has extruded 3D. Just use a shatter effect and don't shatter it. It is true that you do not get bevel and texturing is limited, but you can get a 'true' 3d extrusion out of AE.
Yes, I have seen this in use. And you're right, even though I would characterize this as yet another workaround to achieve something that AE isn't 'made to do'.
Atomic wrote: Yes, it is a better workflow to remain inside a single app.

I guess, having worked in 3D and 2D I see the setup and maintenance of this footage techniquie to be quite a burden. If a texture change is requested, instead of a camera change you are still in the same boat of having to go back to the 3D app and re-render your footage.
You're right. You are locked to one light setting (except AE's light onto the footage 'plane', which wouldn't change the 'real' lighting on the object), one texture and such... The only advantage I guess is to be able to place an object in AE's 3D world and rotate it with 'pseudo 3D look' (?).

If you settle for one lighting and one texture, you have a 'full 3D look' which needs no more adjustment.

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. Feel free to comment more on this.

-
Erland Kjensli

I misunderstood what QTVR is a little. But I now have a solution to get the 3D object rendered easily from all angles.

A guy in the norwegian forum 3Dhue.com suggested a script that could look like this in a template 3DS file: (neither him or I know MAXScript so this is pseudo code)

Move the camera pivot to the center of the scene/stage and rotate the camera down to -90 degrees (in relation to the 'floor'), and run a script something like this:

for (int $i = 0; $i < 180; $i++){

rotate camera one degree 'up';

for (int $j = 0; $j < 360; $j++)

rotate camera one degree round 'equator' per frame;

next

next

That is exactly what I've been looking for.

Anyone here that knows MAXScript and can write something like this? (I guess it's time to move this over to a 3D forum?)

When I can use a template like this to render out one movie with all frames needed, and just add the code in AE to the footage, the amount of work that goes into this technique is significantly less than I feared. Actually it's practically nothing, if you don't consider the 3D modelling, which is a separate issue.
Erland Kjensli

I have now cleaned up the code and saved all settings and code in a preset. So the procedure in this technique is now this:

1. Add the to-be-3D footage to the comp
2. Switch on 3D for this footage
3. Add a camera (or several)
4. Apply Kjenslify preset to footage and adjust two values.

I have changed the code to use the active camera(s) instead of a specified camera.

So when the 3DS script I am having made is ready, the work that goes into this is minimal. Just create or import object(s) in 3DS and apply AllAnglesRenderScript, take a long break, add footage to comp and apply preset.

Voila!!

The real world value of this remains to be seen, but nonetheless...