pt_SSA Karaoke Animator

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

ifrittt

I will be waiting for the example =p
Devastator

This is probably a basic question, but I wasn't able to find an answer to it even after going through most of the expressions threads. Is there a way to determine the width and height of the text in a text layer? ie. for such case as trying to move the center of an effect from the top-left corner of the text to the bottom-right. I've tried using the width from the layer section to find that it was giving back the same width as the composition itself.
Paul Tuersley

It isn't currently possible to determine the dimensions of a text layer. As you said, an expression just returns the width / height of the comp. This is also the case with scripting, and there's an ongoing discussion about it here, including a plug-in that may be of help:
http://www.aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?t=150
Devastator

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to see if I can somehow make do with that plugin.
arnufle

an example with just slider control and expression :wink:
http://rapidshare.com/files/16572732/ebauche1.avi.html
thx paul can you up your script with 4 settings and 2sliders control ?
Paul Tuersley

arnufle, thanks for posting that example...pretty cool.

Inspired by that, and with a bit of free time on my hands today, I've been working on the script. Here's a first look at SSA_Karaoke_Animator_v2 beta1.
(link removed, download from link on first post)

It's quite different from the previous version. The UI is gone and now it works with Animation Presets, so it should be possible to create far more sophisticated animations than before. The only downside is the animation is always fixed to the duration in the anim preset (I think it's possible, but tricky, for me to add variable duration)

How to use:
1. The zip archive is a folder containing both the script and a folder of specially designed Animation Presets. Place the entire folder in your Scripts folder.
2. With a composition selected, run the script.
3. When prompted, select one of the Animation Presets.
4. When prompted, either choose an SSA/ASS file to import, or hit Cancel to see the result using preview text.

NOTES:
1. It's unlikely that any/many of the Animation Presets that ship with After Effects will work well with this script. If you come up with any good Animation Presets, please post them.

2. It's pretty easy to convert your old V1 presets to Animation Presets. Run SSA_Karaoke_Animator_v1.1, select a preset and hit Show Preview. Then select all the keyframes on one of the newly generated layers and select Animation > Save Animation Preset.

3. A word of warning, don't use a Text Opacity property to animate opacity, use the text layer's main Opacity property instead. You'll have to make this change if you're converting your old presets too.

4. Another warning, there appears to be a bug where applying some Animation Presets causes a "can't paste to custom data" error. A workaround appears to be to resave your Animation Preset, but also have another property (such as layer Opacity) selected when you save the preset.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Paul T
arnufle

nice paul but when i creat new preset in v1.1, it's no synchro in v2b. :?
i want just a preset : 2slidecontrol 10;0;1;100-->... and 10;1;0;100-->...
is it possible ?
Paul Tuersley

arnufle, I don't understand what you mean by 'it's no synchro in v2b'. You don't need to use v1.1 to make presets, although I explained how to convert old presets to Animation Presets.

To create a new Animation Preset with 2 slider controls, just create a new text layer, apply 2 slider control effects along with some keyframes, then select the keyframes and choose Animation > Save Animation Preset.

But there probably isn't much point in creating Slider Control presets anyway, because now you can add multiple keyframed effects and save them as an Animation Preset that can be used with the script.
arnufle

lol okkkk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD !!!!!!! it's fantastic i understand it's perfect
thx paul :P
i love your new script :wink:
arnufle

Paul Tuersley wrote:...(I think it's possible, but tricky, for me to add variable duration)...
with this variable duration it will be perfect i wait your up.
kef

thx for this plugin

i'm really fan of the v1.1 because i use AE just for karaoke and this is clearly the better plugin for that.

but i have a litlle problem with the v2b. I don't really understand how to create an animation preset who can use keyframe who are in .ssa or .ass . somebody can help me to understand how work animation preset?

P.S. i have another question. in the v1.1, we can put effect on each {/k} but if i want to put an effect like a fadding on one complete sentence. how i can do that?
arnufle

-import your clip in a composition <---- for composition's settings
-creat text layer
-make your animation with keys
-select all and Animation > Save Animation Preset
-run script
-delete the first text layer

P.S. i have another question. in the v1.1, we can put effect on each {/k} but if i want to put an effect like a fadding on one complete sentence. how i can do that? ------>we can't but... :)
Paul Tuersley

You could get started by creating some preview animation using v1.1. Delete all but one of the resulting layers, then refine the animation, add more text properties, keyframes, effects, expressions. And finally, select all the keyframes and save as an animation preset.

It might also help if I explain what keyframes were created in v1.1. Here's an example where keyframes were created for Before, Start, Mid, End and After.

START: A Start keyframe is always placed at the start time for this word/syllabe, as defined by the SSA file.

BEFORE: If the Before setting is different from the Start setting, a Before keyframe is created one frame before the Start time. This means you can create an abrupt change that will occur at the Start time.

END: In this example, "Fixed Duration" is off, so an End keyframe is created one frame before the Start time of the next word/syllable, as defined by the SSA file. If "Fixed Duration" was on, it would be created a fixed time after the Start time. This makes it possible to create animation that overlaps the Start time of the next word/syllable.

MID: An optional Mid keyframe is placed half way between the Start and End times.

AFTER: If the After setting is different from the End setting, an After keyframe is created one frame after the End time.

Next, I selected the keyframes on that one layer and saved an animation preset. Here's the result when I used that preset in v2b1:

The difference here is that the animation preset is simply applied to each layer with the first keyframe at the Start time for that word/syllable.

>>P.S. i have another question. in the v1.1, we can put effect on each {/k} but if i want to put an effect like a fadding on one complete sentence. how i can do that? ------>we can't but... :)

Are you asking for the ability to fade out all the text at the end? What kind of controls would you want? (i.e. time before fade, length of fade)
arnufle

i think he wants, the animation's time = k
v1+v2b=v2 maybe ^^
kef

I begin to understand how animation preset work, and it's really powerful, in 10 minutes you can have a nice kara with ligth effect :D
Are you asking for the ability to fade out all the text at the end? What kind of controls would you want? (i.e. time before fade, length of fade)
exactly, an equivalent of the fonction {/fad} in ssa for fade in or fade out. to control i think that length is the better choice