Identify too large layers causing buffer overload

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

Cletus

Hi,

I'm workin on AFX 7.0 Pro on a Windows XP Pro 64bit System with 4GB RAM switching to AE CS3 soon.

I would like to request a script which helps me identify the layer which caused a "Could not create xxxx*xxxx image Buffer" error message while rendering.

For example: I got a comp with 4000*3000 size.
The layers in this comp are all not bigger than 4000*3000 but there are masks on some layers which are much bigger and go over the bounds of the comp causing the layer to be calculated much bigger.
So when I try to render the comp everything is fine until the renderes starts to render the layer with the big mask and can't handle it, giving me the described error message.

Now to find the layer in my comp (or sub-comp) which caused the error might be hard due to many hundreds of comps/sub-comps and layers.
So I would ask you kindly if its possible to make a script which saves the location and layer number of the layer which caused the error message and writes it into the log-file OR the alert-windows which pops up on failure.
This would help to identify the layer and solve the problem.

I friend of me was I able to make a script which finds the biggest layer in a comp but it doesnt recognize transform-options or masks which doesn't help us because its often not the layer itself but the mask around the layer or the transformation to it.

Is this possible?

Thank you very much.

Dino Muhic
http://www.dinomuhic.com
lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

This isn't something that can be done with scripting. You can make a feature request directly to adobe though..

http://adobe.com/go/wish

-Lloyd
Mylenium

That's completely pointless. The actual buffer size and memory consumption is rarely ever related to a perticular layer. It just as much hinges on effects that fexpaqnd/ dilate buffers or do blending operations. Enbale "Plus per Frame info" on your RQ and see where the render stops. That's as good as it will ever get.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]