ExpressEdit or something like it?

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

turnofftheDOTtv

I just got thru watching lloyd Alvarez' presentation at AENY on the power of scripting and I'm hooked. for anyone who hasn't seen it check it out:
http://vimeo.com/3031889?pg=embed&sec=3031889&hd=1 it's amazing. Along with some of his own awesome work on improving workflow, Lloyd showed off one of Paul Tuersley's scripts called ExrpessEdit. That was a real I opener for me. I've been imagining a consolidated coding environment for AE for ages. That's a script that adobe should seriously consider integrating directly into the product. Paul, if you come across this post, hats off ... that thing was mind blowing. The video gave me the impression it was downloadable but a quick browse thru Paul's scripts seems to suggest otherwise... Basicly I was just writing to find out if expressEdit is opensource. I'm assuming this is the right board to be asking. Anyways if it is amazing, where can I get it and thank you. If it isn't ... dang!! but I guess it's good to know those things are in development.
Anyways check out the vid and go check out Alvarez' scripts too.

Amazing work fellas and thanks for sharing
Paul Tuersley

Glad you liked it. Lloyd's scripting demo is excellent and I also recommend people check it out.

ExpressEdit and TextEdit are nearly ready. They should be available in a few weeks, I just need some free time to finish them off. I'll keep you posted.
turnofftheDOTtv

Thats great news! Again thank you so much for contributing in this way. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I think it really has the potential of changing the way ae is used. I actually come from a flash actionscript background so this has always felt like the natural progression of any coding environment. Frankly I'm suprised ae hasn't moved in this direction already. Clearly you have proven that it is definitely possible.
Since I've got you attention, I was wondering if I could pick your brain a bit. The really signifant difference between flash-like scripting environments and ae is obviously the frame-based coding model, in which variables remember information from their previous iteration ( I hope I described that correctly but I think you'll know what I'm talking about). Do you see a future in which ae can be augmented to allow for such coding practices? Obviously ae's built in abilities + that type of generative coding would really open up new areas of expression. What do you think? Is this a pipe dream? or something feasable in the forseeable future?
Anyways thanks again for all the killer scripts. Eagerly awaiting for the upcoming gems you mentioned. Keep me posted

Andreas