Generating a AE based Z buffer.

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

renkin

Hello all,
I'd like to know if there's a script that would create a Depth pass from After Effects ?

When you don't use a 3D package where you can render out separately your depth pass, it would be very nice to generate a depth pass from a specific comp.

For instance, you have a comp with the camera DOF activated and your layers animated, is there a way to color to black and white a copy of this comp based on its bluriness, or on the distance from the camera ?

Or you could just input the DOF, the color information and the script will color layers... ?

DOes that kind of scripts already exists ?
Paul Tuersley

I'm not aware of any script that can do this. But you could try the Depth effect in the Depth Cue plug-in set:
http://www.digieffects.com/products/Bue ... h-cue.html
Yenaphe

I'm actually writing a tutorial about this. I'll post here when it will be online, around middle of april if all goes well.
renkin

Bumpin the old thread, i tried the plugin you talk about Paul, thanks.
It's doing the job well, too bad its bugged as hell... Its very instable with my AE CS4.
They stopped the support for this product since CS3, is anyone here still using it anyway ?

Looking forward your tutorial Yenaphe ! :D
Yenaphe

I'll be late renkin, as i have not much free time, and already have some stuff underway. But the good news is i'm shaping it carefully in my head, and on paper, because it's much more complicated than thought at first. So i'll try to cover any situation, but that's not easy.