Returning a value from a wildcard

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

adamghering

I would like to look inside a directory and return the value of that directory using a wild card

I.E.

Myfile = new File("c:\\User\\*.jsx");

Is there any way to get something similar to this to return the actual name of whatever file is in the folder specified?
Adam Ghering
Compositing Supervisor
Legend Films inc.
2D/3D Stereo Conversion
Paul Tuersley

I've not tried it myself, but this is from the Javascript Tools Guide:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/scripting/

folderObj.getFiles ([mask])
mask Optional. A search mask for file names. A string that can contain question mark (?) and asterisk (*) wild cards. Default is "*", which matches all file names.
adamghering

Thank you so much and for your other replies ...worked great
Adam Ghering
Compositing Supervisor
Legend Films inc.
2D/3D Stereo Conversion
Paul Tuersley

Did you get the wildcard working? It would be good if you could post an example for reference.
adamghering

Yeah that fixed two things for me ...the wildcard and the returning an array of files inside a folder....I just parsed out the one I wanted.

This is a deployment script that will copy a preferences script from the server to the artists local machine so all AE artists upon opening the program will have all the same project and preference settings.

MyFolder= new Folder("//isilon/data/departments/comp/AE_Scripts/Startup/Prefs/");
MyFile = MyFolder.getFiles("*.jsx");
MyScript = MyFile[0];
MyScript.copy("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects CS4\\Support Files\\Scripts\\Startup\\"+ MyScript.displayName);

thanks
Adam Ghering
Compositing Supervisor
Legend Films inc.
2D/3D Stereo Conversion