Duplicate a composition including all nested compositions

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

pxlstrchr

Hey Guys!

I just found this lovely forum and hope someone can help me out...

The task I have sounds simple but in detail turns out to be quite tricky. I want to duplicate a comp and have all comps in it duplicated as well.

I have a comp containing several sub-comps and sub-sub-comps, etc. What I need is a real duplication of this network. when I duplicate the folder containing the main-comp and all the sub-comps I will get duplications but it won't replace the original sub-comps in the main-comp-dup by the duplications. Means I would have to replace it by hand. This takes too long because I have dozens of these duplication jobs to do in my project...

So I wonder if sb here knows this problem as well. I am just beginnig to work with scripts in AE. But I did some programming before. This task sounds like recursion or a recursive function for me (don't know the proper english name...)

I would be very happy if someone could help me out with this issue. My deadline is approaching... :shock:

Thanks!
pxlstrchr
afterguy

After Effects really needs such a feature. Hope somebody developes some kind script to do the job.
Paul Tuersley

I think the best way to do this is to do a File> Reduce Project, keeping the comp hierarchy you want to duplicate. Then save the project and reimport to create a duplicate comp hierarchy. While it should be possible to do this with a script, it would be quite complicated.

Paul