import mask, keyframe data from text file or svg - elaborate

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

evesira

Hello all,

This is a pretty elaborate problem, so I'll have to tell you a little bit about where I'm coming from and why I need this. This may not be possible, and if so, then please disregard this as a request. =)

I'm developing a graphic design tool that graphs interesting geometric and mathematical curves. The app can export the images as SVG (polyline) or as raw position data in a text file.

Here's what I have so far:
Open the exported SVG in Illustrator, and copy the desired path. Then you can paste it into After Effects as a mask or keyframe data (for example, the position property).

So what's the problem with this? Well, I don't want my users to have to own Illustrator so they can use the app with After Effects. Now I know it is possible to write a script that imports keyframes from a text file, but what about a mask? Is it possible to import a mask from an svg or text file?

Another thing I considered is trying to mimic how the path is actually pasted into AE. I was hoping that adobe made use of the windows clipboard, so I could see the actual data that is being passing from AI to AE when you copy and paste. I could write my app to put a certain string of numbers on the windows clipboard, if someone knows the proper way to format this so that AE could accept the paste.

Does all that make sense? I appreciate any insight you can give me...
nab

A script can parse a svg file containing some path data (e.g. polyline), and create/animate a mask/shape accordingly. If you have scripting abilities, look at the Shape() object in the scripting guide for more info on how to access and set mask path value.
evesira

Yes, thank you! That's all i needed to know!

I was looking for a "mask" object in the guide, but i couldn't find it.