Preset Typography Controls under Script Management

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

c_wall

Here are two related requests/suggestions...

It makes me crazy that I cannot assign a keyboard shortcut to specific Effects and Presets. That would be awesome.

And this next improvement would ROCK.

If in pt_TextEdit...if there was a way one could *assign* presets through this outstanding plugin...it would become twice as valuable...at least to me.

A simple example...If in pt_TextEdit I could select all my text blocks and assign a ten frame alpha fade up (one of my presets) that would save me a lot of keyframe noodling. Maybe I then could add a fade out at the tails globally as well?

Cheers,
Craig
chris w

just edit this script so that it will assign keystrokes and keyframes to effects

http://aescripts.com/pt_effectsearch/
Paul Tuersley

chris w wrote:just edit this script so that it will assign keystrokes and keyframes to effects

I think saying "just edit this script" is a bit optimistic. pt_TextEdit does allow you to save text styles as presets and apply them to other text layers, but it sounds like Craig is asking for a way to apply animation presets to certain layers.

I imagine that would need a different approach to either EffectSearch or TextEdit. Firstly you'd need some way of telling it the frame on which you want the anim preset to be applied so the keyframes are in the right place. You could probably do that with some options for how may frames before/after the layer in/out point you want it applied.

Then, there's no reason an ApplyAnimationPreset script should only work on text layers, but you'd need a way to specify which layers to apply to. It's unlikely you want a listbox that shows you every layer in your project, although you could have similar search options that let you specify which comps & layer types to search for. Alternatively it could just apply them to any selected layers.

I think there are already scripts that let you assign commonly used effects to buttons on a script palette, and ways to assign/use shortcuts to launch scripts, but nothing that lets you do this with animation presets.
c_wall

chris w wrote:just edit this script so that it will assign keystrokes and keyframes to effects

Chris, I don't believe this particular script is available for CS5.
c_wall

Paul Tuersley wrote:I think there are already scripts that let you assign commonly used effects to buttons on a script palette, and ways to assign/use shortcuts to launch scripts, but nothing that lets you do this with animation presets.
You are accurately describing my wish.

Let me expand this wish.

What if you could tag different text elements as if they were CSS...
H1, H2, body, etc.

Then you could assign not only text characteristics (color, font, font size, etc) but also animation presets (e.g. fade in with tracking) based on tag. If you changed the definition of the tag it would ripple through your project just like it does in a web site when you change CSS declarations.

Anyway...I'm just sharing my dream.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I'd pay $79-$99 for such a plugin/script/product.
WolgangW

Hi, does pt_TextEdit allow saving text styles as presets and in this way apply them to other text layers if I wish to do so ?
Tx
Wolfgang

... and mea culpa if you experts find this question avoidable ;)
Paul Tuersley

Yes, pt_TextEdit does allow you to save text styles as presets and apply them to other layers. Scripting doesn't have full access to text style properties, so it only saves and applies the Font, Size, Fill Color, Stroke Color, Stroke Width and Alignment.
WolgangW

Paul Tuersley wrote:Yes, pt_TextEdit does allow you to save text styles as presets and apply them to other layers. Scripting doesn't have full access to text style properties, so it only saves and applies the Font, Size, Fill Color, Stroke Color, Stroke Width and Alignment.

Muchas Gracias, dankeschön, Tx, merci ... :)

Wolfgang