How to link text properties between different text layers?

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

Maroussia

Hello, everyone! I need your help. I am a beginner in expressions and I've come into a problem:
Is it possible to link text properties between different text layers?

The case is the following: I have a composition with text animation and I want to make a MOGRT template. But the problem is I have 3 text layers (the same text, but different effects and animation applied) and I don't know how to link them together correctly.

Now I have all Source Texts linked to the first text layer and this first layer is linked to Essential Graphics panel, so I can change the text from the panel and it works ok. But whan I want to change the font style (character), only the first text layer is changing. Is there any way to solve it? Is it possible to link text properties somehow?

P.S. I've found in Adobe guidelines:
"Please note that forwarding Source Text via expressions does not work with Font Properties"
and it confused me even more. How, in this case, the other projects with text effects are made?  :roll:

zlovatt

Using the new expression engine & a recent version of AE (that supports text styling), this will clone the text content and the text layer style from one text layer to another.

Apply to the destination's Source Text field:

Code: Select all

const ref = thisComp.layer("Driver Text Layer").text.sourceText;

// Copy the style and the text content from the reference
ref.style.setText(ref.value);
sshahriyari

zlovatt wrote: October 29th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Using the new expression engine & a recent version of AE (that supports text styling), this will clone the text content and the text layer style from one text layer to another.

Apply to the destination's Source Text field:

Code: Select all

const ref = thisComp.layer("Driver Text Layer").text.sourceText;

// Copy the style and the text content from the reference
ref.style.setText(ref.value);

Nice :!: