computation of transformations (toComp, toWorld)

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

mmohl

Hi,
I am new here and I currently try to implement my first AE script. I have the following question:
Is there anything similar to the toComp/toWorld functions of expressions in the scripting language? Or do I have to compute the transformations manually step by step? If there do not exist such functions, what is the most elegant way to implement them?

thanks,

Mathias
Paul Tuersley

I would get the script to temporarily add the expressions and read the values.

Paul
mmohl

good idea!
I want to do the computation for mask points (which no expression can be applied to), but I will try to temporarily add a point control effect and insert the expression there.
Seems more like a hack than a proper solution but I guess it should work.

Thank you for the quick help!
mmohl

I implemented transformation matrices for fast transformations of 2D-Points. It offers also an easy possibility to translate points between layer/and comp-coordinate systems.

If anyone wants to use this in his scripts, you can download it here and include it in your script:
http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~mmohl/aescript ... s2D.jsxinc
Some example-code of how to use it is also included in the file.

Brief example:

Code: Select all

// transform points A,B and C (must be arrays with 2 elements, representing x and y coordinate)
// transform from layer1-coordinates into composition-coordinates
var transformation =  layerToComp(layer1,time);

A= transformation.transform(A);
B= transformation.transform(B);
C= transformation.transform(C);
// A,B and C are now in comp-coordinates
Analogously to the layerToComp there exist also compToLayer and layerToLayer functions as well as functions to perform manual transformations:

Code: Select all

// rotate A,B and C by 45 degree (clockwise, around (0,0) ), move them afterwards 10 pixels to the right and 5 up and finally scale by a factor of 2 in x-direction
var transformation =  rotate(45);
transformation.applyAfter(move([10,-5]));
transformation.applyAfter(scale([2,1]));

A= transformation.transform(A);
B= transformation.transform(B);
C= transformation.transform(C);
// A,B and C are now are rotated, moved and scaled accordingly
Plecko

Hi i´m trying to calculate position via script, and toComp still doesnt work in scripting, i have a solution with adding the point position effect and reading value from expression, but if you have still that matrix script, i would really appreciate it.