ae procuedural animatio: how much like actionscript (flash)?

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

Jai

i am a veteran flash programmer and am very comfortable with javascript. after looking through the scripting documentation, it looks like one can control almost every aspect of ae. but, before i get to deep, i wanted to ask someone with experience: could i basically repeat everything i do in flash (save for interactivity) in ae -- and get a nice render at the end?
Shinjipierre

Huumm.. I think you should just import the flash files in after effects and modify them
Jai

right but that only supports keyframed flash animations. what i am referring to is procedural animations -- simulations. that won't ouput -- otherwise i would have saved to quicktime a long time ago.
davestewart

Hi Jai,
I found this awesome bit of software that will output (frame by frame) ANY procedural swf you put into it...

http://www.flashants.com/root/index.shtml

I've managed to output stuff from game engines and all sorts of other procedural stuff I've written in Flash to video. Take a look at the start and end of my showreel to see. It also supports 32 bit targas, which of course, rocks.

As far as procedural animation in After Effects goes... I did a quick test of the "rotation+=10" style... and no luck. It may need some investigation.

Cheers,
Dave