cAPS lOCK nIGHTMARE

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

scribling

On a Mac it's no problem, on this windoz thing it's a nightmare. Hitting shift and any letter with the caps lock on gives you a lower case. I can't stand it.

Does anyone know anyway to get this to work the way it should?

I mean who every hit shift and wanted a lower case letter?

Ugh!

I'm gonna take a look at an app called Toggler right now and see if that'll do it.

Better yet is there any way to remap the caps lock key in AE to something else ... like one of the useless keys like scroll lock?
scribling

Toggler just turns off caps lock as soon as you touch the shift key.
davestewart

It's the way it's always been...!

You could convert the string to upper case using string.toUpperCase() afterwards...
scribling

On a Mac if you have caps lock on and hit shift you still get a cap. I can't believe on a PC you hit shift and get a lower case. It's retarded!

I'm looking into disabling the caps lock key. I don't know if AE will still respond to it correctly or not.

I type pretty fast and hate to go back and fix tHIS. And of course Windows wants to select the whole word for me instead of the letter that I've selected.

Windows always thinks it's smarter than me and I hate it.
vidpat

The behavior of Shift on Windows (and most other OSs and typewriters too) makes sense to me. I didn't realize that the semantics were different on a Mac. Shift means to invert the sense of the capitalization. So if your Caps Lock is on, you use Shift to get lower-case letters. Otherwise, you have no way of getting lower-case letters while Caps Lock is on.

Since the interactive text engine was added to AE, perhaps they should consider moving (or making it capable to move) the functionality (disabling preview rendering) of Caps Lock to Scroll Lock or the like. You could submit a feature request.

The selection behavior in some programs can be a bit annoying, though. Particularly when it selects the entire word and the following whitespace. Sometimes, the only way to get the proper selection is to put the caret at the end of the word (excluding the whitespace) and go back to the beginning or use the arrow keys. Thankfully, in some applications, including the Office suite, there are options to control the selection behavior.