Command line watch folder?

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

scribling

Is there a way to get aerender to watch the watch folder? I can't find it.

Also, I've been told AE is only single treaded, and therefore by rendering two separate command line renders you can get a dual proc machine to be more efficient. Any truth?
vidpat

I'm pretty sure that AE is multithreaded (beyond threading for the UI and caching) and capable of utilizing multiple processors. While it won't render more than one frame at a time, the effects and image processing architecture can be distributed across the processors in a system, where possible. For example, in the effect API, there are opportunities for developers to use calls that allow AE to dole out callbacks among available processors. Of course, the data that is being operated on must be thread safe. Also, in image processing, many algorithms that assume an ordered traversal of pixels can't take advantage of this.

I don't expect that there would be any benefit to running multiple instances of AE render on the same machine. Two different renders of the same length could be completed simultaneously, but that time would likely be at least a little bit longer than rendering them individually. If the two projects shared footage or comps, you might lose the performance boost of the cache. Also, the two processes would have separate memory spaces so RAM for cached frames and processing would be reduced. If both processes exceed their apportioned physical memory, there would be a big performance hit swapping pages into memory and back out to disk.

This is just my meager understanding. I may be way off and there may be anecdotal evidence to the contrary.