AE7 gripe: non updating scripted 'progress window's

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

zold

"Progress windows" created by scripting - in which a text field is updated during a lengthy repeat loop - no longer update visually in AE7 (trial).
Anyone else seeing this? (or, not seeing this, I guess ... )

Disappointing ...

Looking for a workaround ...
redefinery

I'm not familiar with "progress windows" and don't see a reference to them in the 6.5 or 7.0 Scripting Guide. I'm aware of "dialog" and "palette" windows created via Window(), but nothing like "progress". Can you clarify?

Jeff
zold

redefinery wrote:I'm not familiar with "progress windows" and don't see a reference to them in the 6.5 or 7.0 Scripting Guide. I'm aware of "dialog" and "palette" windows created via Window(), but nothing like "progress". Can you clarify?

Jeff
Hi Jeff.

I didn't mean to imply that 'progress window' was an actual UI object. I am referring to just a normal palette window in which a text field is changed to give progress feedback. It seems a palette no longer updates in a repeat loop, thus killing my lovely home-baked progress windows.
Sorry about the confusion.

cg
redefinery

Ah, OK... Hmm, I can't get a text field to update in 6.5 either, but it might be my test code.

I can't seem to get the field to update in 7.0 either. I tried disabling/enabling the control around the code that increments the value, but that didn't work for me. Maybe it'll work in your code? Otherwise, I can't think of a workaround at this time. Sorry.

Jeff
zold

redefinery wrote:Ah, OK... Hmm, I can't get a text field to update in 6.5 either, but it might be my test code.
Really? 6.5.1 or 6.5? I've been happy with my progress windows up until this point, and not just on my powerbook, come to think of it.
redefinery wrote:I can't seem to get the field to update in 7.0 either.

Do you mean you can't change the text at all (problem in your code), or that it doesn't visibly update within a repeat loop (the new 'bug')?
redefinery

6.5.1 on a Windows laptop. Note that I only did a quick test creating a loop that updates a statictext control; none of my existing scripts use such functionality, so I might not be implementing it the same way as in your script.

The statictext control updates after the loop finishes, not while it's going through the iterations. Maybe it is, but it's just too fast to show it. In my test script, I have a button that fires off the looping code.

Jeff
zold

redefinery wrote:6.5.1 on a Windows laptop. Note that I only did a quick test creating a loop that updates a statictext control; none of my existing scripts use such functionality, so I might not be implementing it the same way as in your script.

The statictext control updates after the loop finishes, not while it's going through the iterations. Maybe it is, but it's just too fast to show it. In my test script, I have a button that fires off the looping code.
Good. Thank you -- this is telling. A friend on a Windows box reported that a button didn't show up until he floated his cursor over it ... but I'm not sure why this is so (I did suspect that another element was badly positioned and blocking it, but I didn't confirm that). It's possible that there is some naughty behavior on Windows and that this is happening with text fields, too. And now ...

A few of the scripts I've written ("coming soon to a less-embarassing website near you" -- I don't mean this one, of course) take a while to complete, and the absence of a homebaked progress window is really not good. Hmm. As a workaround, I'm even thinking of killing and creating a window at every iteration of the loop. Yuck. Whatever works, I guess ...

Thanks for helping out. I appreciate it.

I'm going to do some more tests and see if this really is happening with all my looped text field stuff ...

-cg

p.s. I realize that writing into the Info window is possible, but I really always want feedback.
zold

Yep. Although it makes the window a little translucent-looking and flickery, doing a hide(); and show(); to the palette itself right after updating the text field is a successful workaround. And will undoubtedly help with the update problem with 6.5 on Windows as well.

Thanks again!

-cg

p.s. your scripts rock