system.callSystem (run as a new instance?) (AE7.0)

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

calier

The new "system.callSystem" command from AE 7.0 is a pretty exciting new feature because it allows you to run an external program without having to go thru the batch file / (undocumented) ".execute()" trick.

This new feature sounds wondefull on the paper but it looks like after effects 7 actually freeze (until you close the opened program) when you are using the new "system.callSystem". I guess AE is waiting for the opened program to return something.

Is there any possibility to run a program "as a new instance" with the "system.callSystem" ?

for exemple if i want to run :

Code: Select all

system.callSystem("C:\\Program Files\\IRIDAS FrameCycler Studio Edition\\FrameCycler.exe");
i want to have access to AE without having to close the framecycler program first.

Any idea ?

Thanks
Mylenium

I don't think so. The function supposedly is probably only useful in combination with other Adobe apps that use scripting (Bridge, Photoshop, Illustrator). As I see it, the function launches the other apps as a supervised process which gives it a different process priority and handle allocation. Perhaps if you browse the help files of the other apps, you might find a method that could be used and get some idea what's actually going on.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]