OutputModule and RenderSettings object documentation

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

Soviut

I'm wondering if there are any good examples of creating custom OutputModules and RenderSettings objects in a script. I'm struggling to try and create a batch renderer with a strict set of rendering settings. I'm intereseted in overriding the templates manually in my code, but can't seem to figure out how the objects work exactly.

Any help in this area would be appriciated.
byronnash

I'm not sure if this has changed in v7, I'm still on v6.5. There is no way to edit the parameters that are in the OM ans RS. What I did was save out the setting that I wanted to a file. Then I went around and loaded those presets onto all of my artists machines. Then I could call a specific OM or RS in scripting and be fairly sure that's what got loaded. It's kind of a crappy work around but it worked for me.
Paul Tuersley

No change on this in v7.

I got around it once by including an AE project that already contained the correct templates in the render queue. The script first checked if certain templates existed, if they didn't it would load the support project and save the templates. It was quite a bit of extra work. I can dig out some code snippets if you'd like.
Soviut

I wonder why Adobe excludes the ability to actually set render settings? I mean, even if we had to create render settings and build a new template with them, its still better than not being able to control your output from a script at all.

I've basically had to dedicate a standalone machine to doing nothing but running AE Scripts for batch processing. With all the right Character, Paragraph, OutputModules, etc. already set. Makes it really difficult if I want to, say, set up one of our interns with AE so they can be managing some of the batch processing.