Any way to supress modal dialog when adding effect?

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

bradshaw1965

Hi folks,

Is there anyway to supress the modal dialog that appears when applying certain effects like "Numbers" and "Basic Text"?

i.e. when I do something like:

var timeEffect = timeStamp("Effects").addProperty("Numbers");

I get the modal dialog to set the font, alignment, etc.

The only suggestion I found was using beginSuppressDialogs() in relation to the importFootage dialog, but as expected that failed since that function seems to be about supressing errors.

Combined with the inability to set text specs in a textLayer I'm in workaround city trying to get usable text for a time stamp. Has anybody had any sucess in this area? I've had the same problems trying to set up a slate workflow. I guess I could set up default type specs and duplicate the layers of interest and set the text from there, but of course you'd have to have default projects already set up.

Sorry for my rambling... two questions: 1) Is there a way to supress the dialog? 2) What strategies are you using for nicely set text via scripting?
Dale Bradshaw
Technology Director | Primal Screen
creative-workflow-hacks.com
Atlanta, GA
redefinery

Hi Dale,

If beginSuppressDialogs()/endSuppressDialogs(false) doesn't work, what I've done in the past is create a preset (.ffx) file for the effect, and then use the Layer applyPreset() method. Of course, you need to create the file beforehand, and like with any effect that has "other options", you won't be able to access those settings via scripting.

As for text layer settings, using a template with the text layer already set to use the desired paragraph/character settings is the way I've done it. There's no way to change those settings via scripting.

Jeff
bradshaw1965

... what I've done in the past is create a preset (.ffx) file for the effect

brilliant! thanks Jeff.
Dale Bradshaw
Technology Director | Primal Screen
creative-workflow-hacks.com
Atlanta, GA