temp directory in windows

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

i am writing a script that needs to write a temp file somewhere in the user's directory...

I've tried %Temp% but i am not having much luck..

where is a good place to put a temp file?

thanks

-lloyd
nab

is it important to write the file in the Temp directory ? ("C:\WINDOWS\Temp")

why don't you create the file anywhere on the disk and remove it when things are done (with myTempFile.remove(); )
lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

ok, but where can i be sure i'll be able to write.. in Mac, typying ~/ assures me that i'll be in the user's directory and will be allowed to write anywhere in there..

on windows it seems i need to know the drive letter. %TEMP% is giving me an error when i call it from within the script.. unless there's a special way to use it..
lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

nab wrote:is it important to write the file in the Temp directory ? ("C:\WINDOWS\Temp")

why don't you create the file anywhere on the disk and remove it when things are done (with myTempFile.remove(); )

Hi Nab,

What i am doing is writing a temp.bat file to launch aerender.. If i use myTempFile.remove(); it deletes the file, but the .bat doesnt execute.. my guess is that it's being deleted before it get a chance to run.. so then i tried app.scheduleTask("myTempFile.remove();",1000,0).. now the .bat runs but it doesnt' delete the file.. I also tried adding this as the last line of the bat file: del temp.bat but that didnt work either.. The thing is that if i can write the .bat file to a temp directory, then i dont need to worry about deleting it.. I am only writing one file and overwriting that file, so i won't create a bunch of files that will need to be deleted later..

-Lloyd
nab

scheduleTask doesn't seem to be your best friend :)

here is the quick test I've made.

I've created a root folder named "Projects" and place a "demo.aep" project inside (with a comp ready to render in the queue).
The following script first calls aerender via a .bat command file -to render the movie- and remove the command file after it's been executed.

Code: Select all

{

// paths
var myAerenderPath   = "C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe After Effects 7.0\\Support Files\\aerender.exe";
var demoFolder       = "C:\\Projects\\";

// files
var myProj           = demoFolder + "demo.aep";
var batFile          = new File(demoFolder + "aerender.bat"); 

// commands
var myRenderCommand  = "\"" + myAerenderPath + "\" -project " + "\"" + myProj + "\"";
var myRemoveCommand  = "batFile.remove();";

// render
batFile.open("w","TEXT","????");
batFile.writeln(myRenderCommand); 
batFile.close(); 
batFile.execute(); 

// remove command file
app.scheduleTask(myRemoveCommand,1000,false); 

}

ps: the local Temp directory should be something like "C:\Documents and Settings\NAB\Local Settings\Temp"