POLL: What do you use After Effects scripting for?

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

POLL: What field do you use After Effects scripting in?

No votes
25%
13%
Web graphics
No votes
50%
Corporate presentations
13%

Total votes: 8
Darkmoon_UK

I thought it would be interesting to get an idea of the kinds of applications that people are most using After Effects scripting for. If you're using it towards a particularly unusual end that I haven't listed, perhaps you'd like to let us know?
Disciple

Darkmoon

I think your poll is interesting but stretches to in fact what people use AE mostly for, not only scripting. I guess that for me depending on the job I'll find a different use for scripting.
But there are some scripts I use all the time, like PRecomptoLayerDuration, or the ExpressionWiggler, etc...

Alex
byronnash

Wow, only 4 people who script?

I've often wondered how many people actually write scripts. I'm sure there are lots who use scripts but the number of authors has to be miniscule.
Darkmoon_UK

Myself, I am developing and now using a fairly involved piece of scripting/image filtering. The idea is to create full motion animated overlays (subtitles) on DVD through the authoring standard Sonic Scenarist. I can animate whatever I like in After Effects, then downsample it on the fly to the four available overlay colours, with error-diffusion noise, all adjustable through controls. Then the script renders each frame and creates a Sonic Scenarist subtitle file. I can also use the players hardware fading through placing markers on the timeline. Its not perfect yet but working out to be quite a nice system. So, I am quite enjoying it. Though I did waste nearly 3 days (and lose a little faith in Adobe) trying to get at the actual size of a textfield! In the end I did the old school filthy hack of counting the average characters per line etc...
hype

byronnash,

i voted, and i don't script. i just use them. some scripts i couldn't live without, like track averaging. So maybe i'm throwing off the poll. :wink:
if it's not fun, what's the point?
http://www.mackdadd.com