pt_AutoExpress

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

Paul Tuersley

This script can be used to automatically add wiggle, smooth and loop expressions to any selected properties.

Watch the video tutorial and download pt_AutoExpress from aescripts.com

To run the script as an embedded panel, place the script in a folder called ScriptUI Panels, inside the Scripts folder. If there is no ScriptUI Panels folder in the Scripts folder, you'll need to create one. When you restart AE, you'll be able to select the script from the Windows menu.

The script requires After Effects CS3 or greater.

Paul
)orgen

that is a lovely little script thank you very much ;)...use it all the time...
M. Sean McManus

Woah this looks so cool. I'm new to scripting/expressions so forgive me if this is a simple question, but the Octave slider- does this work smiliar to putting easy eas in on all the keyframes of a regular wiggler application?

I've gotten into the habit of using the wiggler to simulate a hand held looking variable to my animations, and I'm wondering if I can use this to achieve the same thing more quickly and more uniformly. If the octave slider doesn't work that way, can you suggest a way that I can achieve a similar look with this?
Paul Tuersley

In a wiggle expression, Octaves (along with Amp_mult) is a closer equivalent to choosing between Smooth / Jagged. Octaves control how many times a wiggle is applied, with amp_mult controlling the 'scale' of each subsequent wiggle, so more octaves = more jagged, roughly speaking.

All I can suggest is that you experiment to see if you can get the right look. I've used it for a handheld camera effect many times and often find I don't need to alter the octaves/amp_mult values. There are lots of benefits to using a wiggle expression over the old Wiggler: it doesn't destroy keyframes, it's easier to go back and edit later and it's more powerful as you can use expression sliders to animate the resulting wiggle.
Paul Tuersley

This is just a bump to say I've posted an update to the old "Expression Wiggler" script. This new version "AutoExpress" can automatically add wiggle, smooth and loop expressions to any selected properties.
cob906

For some reason, when I open it up using the window menu in AE, the script still opens up in its own popup window. I've got it in the ScriptUI Panels folder but it doesn't seem to want to stick! I'm using CS3 on a Mac.
Paul Tuersley

I've posted an update to pt_AutoExpress (v1.1) with the following changes:

- There's a new video tutorial and built-in help.
- Added CS5 compatibility.
- Various bug fixes.

Watch the video tutorial and download pt_AutoExpress from aescripts.com