AE to C4D

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

D4effects

Excellent! as soon as I get home from work I will veryify all the information and send you the files to take a look at, I'll be home in about 5 hours! thanks again Paul!
D4effects

Paul Tuersley wrote:It does appear that your 30 fps render from C4D is in sync, but there is a slight jump every 5 frames. This could simply be a result of having 30 fps footage in a 25 fps comp, but the mystery is why you're having to render out of C4D at 30 fps in the first place.

Can you double check that in After Effects the original 25 fps footage is in a 25 fps composition and that the Camera Tracker has generated keyframes at 25 fps? Then can you check that the exported text file's first line is "FrameRate,25". And after importing into C4D, check Edit > Project Settings to see if the Frame Rate is set to 25? Also, check the length of your sequence in After Effects in frames, and compare this to the frame range in C4D. And can you let me know what version of C4D you're using.

If you can send me your AE project, exported text file and C4D project, I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on. Send it to paul.tuersley@btinternet.com

Paul
Everything seems to be right, the original footage is 25 fps and in a 25fps comp, the exported file on line 1 does say "FrameRate,25"
and the project settings in C4D is 25, but the render settings is 30. I'll mail you this stuff right away, thanks!!
D4effects

THANK YOU!!!! Paul has come to the rescue! I am going to paste his email so the rest of you can see what the problem was and how easy it was to fix!

"I'm wondering if your problem is as simple as you rendering out a 25
fps image sequence from C4D, but this is being interpreted as 30 fps
when imported into AE. That is the default behaviour in AE when
importing image sequences (unless you specifically change the Import
prefs), and I think it would account for your problem as the render
would be sped up and therefore out of sync with your original clip.

If this is the case, you would just need to select the 25 fps image
sequence in AE's project window, you'll see in the info at the top if
it's been interpreted as 30 fps, and if so use File > Interpret
Footage to set it to 25 fps.

cheers"

and here is the text working great =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IC6XkMGIrc

Thanks again Paul for the help and the amazing script! :D
chrisatmip

Hi I've been using the script which allows me to export After Effects camera data to Cinema 4D. Its always been very accurate, but I would say maybe a few frames are out of sync with the After Effects frames. I always ensure that AE's and C4D's settings are set to 25 and I double check in the text edit that its 25 too.

My company are planning on sending me to shoot some scenes in New York so I've started doing a few tests. Here is one example http://vimeo.com/36074740

Its pretty accurate but you can see a few frames are out of sync. Also when I render from C4D and import (at 25fps) the last frame is always missing (so in this case the type disappeared on the last frame so I trimmed the footage).

Am I doing something wrong? Im using The Foundry's camera tracker and the footage is shot on my iphone. I would think that potentially theres something wrong with the tracking in AE but I've had this out of sync problem for other projects where Im only using camera movement created in AE, ie no tracking done at all.

Im using Cinema 4D R12 (broadcast) and After Effects CS5.5.

Any help would be awesome, thanks guys

Chris Shaw
Paul Tuersley

Hi Chris,

To be sure it's not a sync issue you should check it's 25 fps every step of the way, including in C4D, the resulting render and how that render is interpreted when reimported into After Effects.

Have you tried using Maxon's new official AE export plug-in? As far as I'm aware it's made my AEtoC4D script obsolete, so you should probably try that first. but let me know if you're still having problems.
http://www.maxon.net/en/downloads/updates/plugins.html

Paul
chrisatmip

Hi Paul.

Thanks for your reply. I think I've posted in the wrong place, sorry.

Im trying to export the camera data from After Effects to Cinema 4D. That plugin goes from C4D to AE, right?
Am I being clueless?

Many thanks

Chris
Paul Tuersley

I don't think you have posted in the wrong place. We are definitely talking about AE to C4D.

Here's the description of one of their new plugins on that link:
Plugin for After Effects CS3 - CS5 to CINEMA 4D R12 connection.

I haven't tried it myself, but I would imagine it does what you want and is probably better than my script.

Paul