AE to C4D

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

Navstar

I used this script a few months ago, and when imported into C4D, I got nice corner nulls in my scene.

I just ran the script now and I'm not getting any corner nulls. What do I have to do in AE to get the corner nulls in C4D?
Paul Tuersley

I put corner nulls in my demo project so they would be imported into C4D and I could correct the field of view. Is that where you remember seeing it from? Just create 4 3D nulls and position them in the corners of your AE comp and that should work.

Paul
Navstar

No, it was something I made. I needed to get a Mocha 2D track into C4D and I found your script. The corner null thing was really helpful determining the viewing frame in C4D (and when I took it back to AE).

Is there a script that will put 3D nulls in my AE camera view corners?
Paul Tuersley

I doubt there's such a script. Is there some reason it's difficult to do it manually?
missbrown

Getting a "Unable to execute script at line 57. Function filePutDialog is undefined" error dialog when running script on CS5.

This is an essential script, thanks Paul.
Paul Tuersley

I've just updated the script to add CS5 compatibility. See the first post for the download link.
missbrown

Thanks Paul.
Just got some of your scripts from AEscripts (no donation button around here).
Much appreciated.
missbrown

Hi Paul,

Noticed the following when exporting a camera created by The Foundry's Camera Tracker AFX plugin:

Once inside C4D, camera focal lenght should match the focal lenght from the original AFX camera.

Hope this helps.
Paul Tuersley

@missbrown

You're correct that the script doesn't export the camera focal length / zoom / field of view. The main reason for this is that I don't know how to set those values in C4D using a COFFEE script. I'd also have to figure out the maths involved in converting those values, but there's no point if I can't figure out how to set them in C4D.

If there are any experienced C4D COFFEE scripters out there who know if it's possible to set these values through a script I'd be grateful for any help you can provide.
missbrown

Paul,

The focal lenght value is the same in AFX and C4D when C4D units are set to meters.

Cheers.
jasfish

Does anyone know if this works in C4D v12?

edit: Just tried it and it works great. Made an initial mistake testing it .. I'm using The Foundry's tracker plugin in CS5, once I un-parented the camera from the null, it exported fine. Thanks for the script, this is really awesome.
timmy1010

I keep getting this message whenever I try to export tracking data from AE.

Unable to execute script at line 70.
Permission denied (is Preferences > General > Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network enables?)
Paul Tuersley

Oops, I guess I'm not checking for that. You need to go into Preferences > General and enable Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network.
vranan

Hi Paul,
your script is absolutely brilliant. One question I have is, is the script capable of saving and importing SCALE values of ie a layer from AR to C4D? If not, are there any possible workarounds?

Many thanks,
Nino
dcrooks

hi Paul

I'm wondering if you ever found a way to overcome the Windows end of line character issue ?

I used your AEtoC4D script as inspiration for a much smaller script to output a text file with rotation data for a project. But the file needs to be read on a PC and when viewed in Notepad I'm getting the one super long line with odd characters where there should be carriage returns.

I have found workarounds to process the output .txt file but would dearly like a way to output the "right" EOL direct from AE.

many thanks, Daniel

ps. great script and thanks for the scripting inspiration in the past