copying a image sequence

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

cardeiro

Hi

I am writing an archival system for our company and am trying to script a solution that will copy all files used in a project to a networked raid.

All is going well, but I have run into a problem with image sequences. When I come across an item in a project that is an image sequence, and try to copy() that item, it only copies the first image in the sequence. Is there a method that I am missing that adresses image sequences or am I sol...I suppose I could code a solution but it could get messy, I'd rather use an ae method if one exists.

Mike Cardeiro
redefinery

Hi Mike,

I'm not aware of any method to get this info. Although you can make some assumptions about the file name based on the footage item's name (e.g., if it contains a range in brackets, it might be an image sequence. However, if you didn't import the entire sequence, or you renamed the footage item to not include the brackets, that workaround won't work.

Jeff
Shinjipierre

why don't you use the collect files function of after effects ?
cardeiro

Shinjipierre wrote:why don't you use the collect files function of after effects ?
is this functionality scriptable? I have not been able to find it in the docs. Running it from the menu is not helpful as my objective is to write a script that will automate the archive process by opening all ae projects associated with a job, and moving all assests associated with the scripts to an archive folder with the projects.

Mike Cardeiro
Shinjipierre

then why don't you create a null project and import all the other prjects in it ?
cardeiro

Shinjipierre wrote:then why don't you create a null project and import all the other prjects in it ?

your suggestion does not answer the problem at hand, mainly, that there does not appear to be a scriptable way to collect all files in an image sequence(i am currently working on a workaround but would much prefer a native method to address an image sequence)

heres exactly what I would like my script to do:

user puts all projects for a job in 1 directory and opens any one of these projects and runs script.

script asks the user for archive number for the job; then it opens each project in this directory and performs the following tasks:
  • reduceFiles
    copy each file in project to a networked raid
    copy each project to a networked raid .
Everything seems fairly straight forward except dealing with files of an image sequence,

Mike Cardeiro
Darkmoon_UK

When you encounter an image sequence, why not just take the base name then set up a loop which appends a number to the end of the name, and just continue to copy until there are no more files found?

Perhaps this is the workaround you seemed reluctant to implement, but I don't consider this an untidy solution...?