Progress Bars and User Updates

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

bradshaw1965

Has anybody had any luck using Progress Bars and updating text while a script is running. The controls work fine until I hook it into a running script and then I only get a stream of updates after the body of the script is finished. It appears to be a threading problem where the Object methods are called out of order. If I step through the script they seem to be called correctly.

Also, the onDraw event seems to be the only regularly firing event outside of user controls and it also seems to be storing instructions and firing them in a bunch instead of in the programmatic order. Anybody else experiencing similar stuff?

Thanks,

Dale
Dale Bradshaw
Technology Director | Primal Screen
creative-workflow-hacks.com
Atlanta, GA
lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

Hey Dale,

Are you seeing this on mac or windows? I just filed a bug for this exact problem (progress bar not updating) on mac. I used the SnpCreateProgressBar.jsx script that ships with the Bridge SDK to make sure it wasn't pilot error.

I would encourage you to file a bug as well so that it's prioritized.

-Lloyd
bradshaw1965

Hey Lloyd,

Yes, on the mac and with the same sample script from Bridge. I'll file a bug.

thanks for confirming,

Dale
Dale Bradshaw
Technology Director | Primal Screen
creative-workflow-hacks.com
Atlanta, GA
nab

In CS5, this bug has been fixed on Mac.
But the bug now appears on Windows (test on Windows 7) :roll: .
Can someone confirm that before I file a bug report ?
(I'm using the SnpCreateProgressBar.jsx script from ExtendScript toolkit CS5 > SDK > Samples > javascript)
lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

I hate to say you are correct Nab. I already confirmed and filed the bug for Win7 CS5 although I was only experiencing it on scripts run as panels not on scripts run as windows (ie from the scripts menu or launched from ExtendScript Toolkit)

-Lloyd
nab

Thanks Lloyd.
Neither panel nor palette work for me. Bug reported.
Yenaphe

Does forcing the window to update with Window.update(); workarounds the bug ?
nab

You're right Yenaphe (as long as the script is displayed in a Window, of course). I actually forgot that I was already using update() in CS4 (this was useful for Mac at that time!).

Here is a summarize table (nice symmetric bug :) ):

Alan Eddie

Was there any update on this issue for CS6? On win7 works sometimes, then not others (in panel, haven't tested window...). Thanks. Alan.
Alan Eddie
Dublin
Paul Tuersley

From what I remember this issue was pretty much laid to rest as of CS5.5. Certainly I've stopped testing for it after it previously being a problem in some of my scripts. Are you using the update() method? I think that's necessary.
Alan Eddie

Yes, using the update() method. It's so strange, seems to work when it likes. On testing - works about 60 percent of the time, other times just jumps from 0 to 100 percent. Anyway it's no big deal there are other ways around it.
I tried exiting the main process and running the update in a separate function, then returning to the main etc.
Cheers.
Alan Eddie
Dublin