Replace Text from an External File

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

fisher

I need to replace text (and possibly graphics) from an external file.

For example, I have a base layer of video playing on the bottom, above I have 3 text layers, each named differently. I need AE to reach out to the external data file and replace the text so that I can render out the 'new' portion of media that was just created.

If there were 3 text layers and 10 replacements per layer, that would be 10 x 10 x 10 or 1,000 combinations. So, ultimately I need to create a data file that only has the elements needed to create the needed media NOT all of the combinations. (I can handle this)

1. replace text from an external file.

2. render out 'new media'

3. ultimately automate this process so that I either have lots of little movies OR a string of clips in one movie.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
bappalander

I could script this for you. Let me know if it's still relevant or
I you got help already.
bradshaw1965

Hi fisher,

You might look at my post at:
http://www.creative-workflow-hacks.com/ ... r-effects/

and see if that's moving in the right direction. If it sort of moves in the right direction, but needs some changes why don't you post back here and I'll see what I can do.

Best,

Dale
Dale Bradshaw
Technology Director | Primal Screen
creative-workflow-hacks.com
Atlanta, GA
byronnash

I do things like this a lot with scripting. Check out this post and script. You should be able to get a good start with this script.

viewtopic.php?t=58
bradshaw1965

Hey Byron,

There are some gems in that script. I do a lot of element tapes and there are some nice ideas here.

Still hoping that we get more control over text layers in the next AE version.

Best,

Dale
Dale Bradshaw
Technology Director | Primal Screen
creative-workflow-hacks.com
Atlanta, GA
Nico

Hi everyone,

I'm new in javascript, but i'm very interested in.

I'm looking for a system who can replace a text into a composition from a xml file. Refresh a picture from an url, and render it automatically every day.

An other dream is to automate a composition with only a layer text of 80 characters max. The text will be refresh from a text file in local disk. And export automatically the render into a specific folder.

Thank you for your help,

Nico

p.s : sorry for my poor english :/

p.s² : thank you Byron for you help yet :D
byronnash

First of all, I would use a CSV file or some kind of text file with the data separated by commas or tabs. It will be much simpler for AE to read it that way.

I'm not sure that AE can read a picture off of a url, I believe it must be a file accessible via a drive somewhere.

The last one is not too hard. You can put a path to a specific text file or have it prompt you to pick one. If it's something you wanted automated every day, you could make a scheduled task to run AE with the -script command and have it run your custom script.